2.8.09

Where did Analog Go?


Where are all the analog electronics? I mean, digital is great and all, but it somehow became synonymous with better. The way I see it, it's just two paths, and we focused on one. Who knows what secrets analog electronics may hold for us.

I've nothing against digital, I just think it's worth taking a step back and evaluating if analog can get us anywhere. There's starting to be some focus on this in artificial neural networks, but if my impression is correct, we're still talking way less than 50% compared to digital.

BEAM robotics make use of the analog properties of electronic devices, as do some other hobby projects. As a note, here's a project where some professional research went in to exploring the analog properties of an FPLD. Seems to show promise in using analog devices for evolutionary programming methods.

Let me know if you think I'm wrong, but analog electronics have just as much potential for shaking the future as digital electronics have in the last 50 years. We'll see where the future leads us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind